Tuesday, September 29, 2009

The Oath never expires.

Sorry for no blog posts in the last couple weeks.  I've been working (hallelujah!).

The job is interesting, and will be very, very challenging.  My coworkers said it will take a minimum of three years just to reach basic competency.  It's interesting to talk to such a wide range of people -- from the spry 81 year old lady who called to change her direct deposit information, to the 24 year old disabled woman (and I use the term disabled quite loosely) with four children (all of whom are "disabled"), by four different fathers, calling to find out what how much money she could make before we reduced her benefits.

It's a crazy world.

This came across my radar screen recently:  elementary-school aged children literally singing a song of praise to Barack Obama.  Here's a video if you don't believe me:



Fast forward to 0:42 to see the start.

That got me to thinking... I swore an oath to the Constitution.   

" I, (state your name), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter. So help me God.'' 

That oath is still in effect.  I swore it when I joined the Army.  I swore it again when I was promoted, when I joined the National Guard, when I joined DHS, and now, working for Social Security, I swore it yet again.  I will be bound by that Oath until the day my Maker releases me from it.



All of our elected officials would do well to remember that the Oath is to the Constitution, not to them. 


And that's life, From My Position.

No comments:

Post a Comment